Do you shave your pubic hair?
You can leave your pubic hair just the way it is, shave it off or trim it. None of these options is healthier or more hygienic than the others are. Do what feels good for you.
Styles in pubic hair come and go. In the past most women and men left their pubic hair just as it was. Now many women shave their pubic hair. And today we don't think that's a crazy idea for men either. Do you shave your pubic hair? Or do you find it unthinkable? It’s all fine; as long as you think it's attractive, and it feels good for you.
This is how to shave your pubic hair
- You need: a razor and some shaving foam or a mild shower gel. You can buy all of these at the chemist.
- Pull the skin taut with 1 hand, and use the other hand to shave yourself.
- Shave in the direction of the hair growth: that's the way to avoid little red lumps and ingrowing hair.
- Shave using short gentle strokes: the skin on the groin area is sensitive.
- Make sure your razor is nice and sharp. When you use a blunt razor, you often have to shave the same spot twice, causing irritation. Make sure you don’t cut yourself.
Don’t want to shave, but do want less hair?
- Trim your pubic hair with scissors or a hair clipper. Advantage: less work, no stubble. Downside: hair is still visible. If you don’t want that, you’re better off shaving.
- Waxing: a wax strip (sticky stuff) sticks to the hairs. When you pull the strip off, the hairs are pulled out. Advantage: fast and you prevent stubble. Downside: it is painful and you need to get it done by a beautician.
- Laser treatment - the pubic hair is permanently removed. This is advisable if you have, or think you have, excessive hair growth. Downside: you need to get it done by a beautician and it’s not cheap.